Vitamin supplements in Nigeria are arguably one of the best inventions of the pharmaceutical industry, but there is a large share of people who don’t believe that store-bought vitamins can be as good as vitamins derived from natural food products. Find out everything about taking vitamins and shop vitamins and other high-quality supplements from top international brands on Jiji.
So why exactly are vitamin supplements so popular?
- Vitamin D, one of the key elements for a normally functioning body, can be easily derived from certain food products and by going out in the sun every day. However, not everyone has the luxury of taking long walks every day, and a vitamin D supplement can be very helpful for preventing vitamin D deficiency.
- Children are especially prone to vitamin D deficiency that can result in slow growth, issues with bones and teeth, and other negative effects. If your baby spends most of their time inside, consider including a liquid vitamin D supplement into their diet.
- It’s no secret that both children and adults can get adequate amounts of necessary nutrients from food, but there are two major problems with this rule. Due to their lifestyles, adults often prefer to eat fast food and other products that are devoid of nutrients, while kids can be picky eaters who hate vegetables, fruits, and anything resembling healthy food. In this situation vitamin supplements may be the only solution.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women have an increased need for vitamins and minerals that is nearly impossible to get from food; even if you’re generally against vitamin supplements, they’re the only way to ensure the good health of your baby and your own well-being.
Despite their many benefits, vitamin supplements also have drawbacks.
- Vitamin supplements are rather expensive — if your goal is to save money, you can be better off changing your diet and including more fresh fruit, veggies, and dairy to your meals.
- Some studies have found that store-bought vitamins have little to no positive effect on the body, although many disagree with this opinion.
- The biggest reason why taking vitamin supplements can be bad for you is the toxicity. There are tests that can determine whether you have a vitamin deficiency, but they are rare and expensive. Without knowing which vitamins your body is lacking, all you can do is guess, and sometimes people guess wrongly. Vitamins like A and D are simply accumulated in your body when it no longer needs them, which can lead to negative health effects like headaches, rashes, and nausea.